One week after Oak Park River Forest beat Hinsdale Central on a gutsy two-point conversion call in overtime, Downers Grove North went for two and the win late in the fourth quarter Friday but was turned away by the Red Devils defense in a 21-20 Hinsdale Central win, according to the Chicago Sun-Times.
After Downers North’s Brandon Salter ran back an 89-yard punt return for a touchdown with 42 seconds in the fourth quarter, the Trojans decided to go for two and the lead.
"On the decisive play, Hinsdale Central’s Brett Goss shed a blocker and led a host of tacklers who stopped Salter to cement the 21-20 victory in the 78th annual battle for the Old Oaken Bucket at Carstens Field in Downers Grove," the Sun-Times reports.
Senior Hinsdale Central quarterback Brian Owens completed 18 of 27 passes for 247 yards, three touchdowns, and two interceptions. Senior receiver John Claussen caught two touchdowns; junior Chase Hamilton caught one.
Downers North quarterback Dave Edwards ran for two touchdowns and threw three interceptions. Kyle Leto ran for 112 yards; Salter ran for 72.
Hinsdale Central advanced its record to 6-2. The Red Devils are 3-2 in conference play. Downers North now sits at 5-3, with a 2-3 conference record.
Watch a replay of High School Cube's broadcast of the game Friday night.
See More on Patch
- Win Free Tickets to DuPage County Hounds Baseball Game at Benedictine!
- First-Year Coach Leads DGS Special Olympics Team to State Championship
- Downers Grove South Special Olympics Team Wins State Basketball Title
- Woodridge Badminton Club Owner Expanding to Naperville
- Winter Playoff Tracker: Boys Basketball Teams Prep for State Playoffs
Most Popular articles
- William Shatner Beams into Naperville, Woodridge Next Weekend for New Star Trek Film
- Gang Symbols, Garbage Can Fires: Police Blotter
- POLICE: Armed Robbery May 4 in Woodridge Involved 3 Males
- Downers Grove Native, Teacher Matt Gavin Loses Battle With Cancer
- Truck Crashes into Fruitful Yield Store in Darien