UPDATE: Man Stole Dangerous Chemical From Employer
Police are still investigating the incident of a condominium building in Woodridge being evacuated Thursday after potassium cyanide was discovered in one of the units.
Updated 2:30 p.m. Jan. 25
A spokesperson for the Woodridge Police Department said the friend of a condo resident in the 2200 block of Wharf Drive asked police to check on the resident’s well being Thursday afternoon – and when police entered the man's home at about 3:30 p.m., he “confirmed/advised” officers of the presence of a dangerous chemical.
Less than one gram of the chemical component was found, the spokesperson said, and investigators have not positively confirmed that the chemical is potassium cyanide, as has been reported in area media.
Police said preliminary investigation does not indicate the man intended to use the chemical in a crime, but criminal charges may be forthcoming pending the outcome of the investigation.
Police have not released the name of the man or the employer from whom he allegedly stole the chemical.
Updated 12:30 p.m. Jan. 25
Police continue to investigate the discovery of a highly toxic chemical Thursday night at a Woodridge apartment.
At about 3:30 p.m., police responded to a call in the 2200 block of Wharf Drive, to check on the well being of a resident. The chemical, potassium cyanide, was found in the unit.
Nearby residents were evacuated until the area was cleaned and the chemical was removed. Residents were allowed to return home at about 6:30 p.m.
Police said there were no injuries and no signs that the chemical posed a danger to anyone else.
The resident was taken to the hospital for further treatment, and police determined at that time that the man stole the chemical from his employer.
Police didn't immediately release the name of the employer, and the incident remains under investigation.
Check back to Patch for more details as they are released.
A condominium building in Woodridge was evacuated Thursday after authorities found potassium cyanide in one of the units, according to the Chicago Tribune.
Potassium cyanide "releases hydrogen cyanide gas, a highly toxic chemical asphyxiant that interferes with the body's ability to use oxygen. Exposure to potassium cyanide can be rapidly fatal," according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s website.
A "small amount" of the toxic chemical was found in the unit, according to the Trib. The chemical was contained and removed. No one was injured.
The building was located near 83rd Street and I-355 in Woodridge.
Sign up for our free daily newsletter.
—Melissa Sersland contributed to this article