Think Pink: Breast Cancer Awareness Events in DuPage County
From galas to walks to shopping, here's how you can participate, pledge support and donate to the cause in DuPage County.
October is National Breast Cancer Awareness Month and whether you love to shop, attend events, walk or run, there are tons of different ways to support the cause. Check out the list below of opportunities to go pink in DuPage County and beyond:
- The American Cancer Society Making Strides Against Breast Cancer 5K fundraising walk will be held at 9 a.m. Sunday, Oct. 21, at Cantigny Park, 1S151 Winfield Road, Wheaton. To register or for more information, visit www.makingstridesdupage.com or call 630-932-1141
- Patriot Boxing and Pilates of Elmhurst is going pink to support those with cancer. Two special classes, one from 10:30 to 11:30 a.m. Monday, Oct. 15, and another at 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. Friday, Oct. 19, will include half boxing, half pilates. The $10 at the door fee will benefit Wellness House in Hinsdale. Complimentary wine and refreshments will be served after the Friday night class, along with special vendors, raffles, prizes and more. Patriot Boxing is located at 645 S. Route 83. Visit www.patriotboxing.com for more information.
- Great Clips in Glen Ellyn will donate $1 for every haircut service at the salon in support of Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Customers may also make donations and purchase wrist bands for $2. Proceeds will be donated to Breast Cancer Awareness and Research.
- Wheaton Park District's Lincoln Marsh “Walk for Awareness” honors National Breast Cancer Awareness month. Saturday marks the fifth anniversary of this community effort. Last year, more than 250 participants joined the walk through the Lincoln Marsh Natural Area. Proceeds benefit the Lincoln Marsh Natural Area and the Central DuPage Hospital Breast Health Center. Check in for the two mile walk begins at 8:30 a.m. Saturday. The walk begins at 9:30 a.m. To register, visit www.active.com or for more information, www.wheatonparkdistrict.com.
- Wheaton Park District will host the Party 4 the Cure Zumbathon®
Friday, Oct. 12, in the Zone Room at the Community Center, 1777 S. Blanchard Road, Wheaton. Doors open at 6:30 p.m. The event runs from 7 to 8:30 p.m. The evening will also include drawings, contests, prizes, snacks and complimentary childcare. Proceeds benefit Central DuPage Hospital Breast Health Center in Winfield. The fee is $15 until Oct. 11, or $25 on the day of the event. Tickets may be purchased online or at the Community Center Front Desk. The event is for those 14 and over. Call (630) 510-5127 for more information or visit www.wheatonparkdistrict.com.
- Trek Bicycles will host the 2012 Trek Women Breast Cancer Awareness Ride Saturday, Oct. 13, at Trek Bicycle Naperville, 3416 S. Route 59, #100, or Sunday, Oct. 14, at Trek Bicycle Downers Grove, 639 Ogden Ave. All proceeds from the Trek Women Breast Cancer Awareness Ride go directly to the Breast Cancer Research Foundation. Choose from fun, family-friendly 10- or 25-mile routes from both locations. All rides leave at 10 a.m. Arrive at least 30 minutes early to check in. To register for the Naperville ride, click here. Register for the Downers Grove ride here.
- Adventist Bolingbrook Hospital will present “An Evening in Pink,” a night of fun, education and pampering at 6 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 24, at Macy’s at the Promenade Bolingbrook, 631 E. Boughton Road, Bolingbrook. A panel of experts will discuss cancer prevention, the latest on screening mammogram guidelines and nutrition, among other topics. The event also includes makeovers provided by Macy’s along with refreshments and goodie bags. To register for this free event or for more information, call 630-856-7525 or visit www.keepingyouwell.com. Space is limited.
- The Hinsdale Hospital Foundation is hosting a fashion show for breast cancer awareness at 7:30 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 24, at Continental AutoSport’s Maserati showroom, 420 E. Ogden Ave. The evening will benefit the new cancer center being built for patients of Adventist Hinsdale Hospital and Adventist La Grange Memorial Hospital. The foundation has committed to raising $11 million toward this state-of-the-art facility, which will open in 2014. Fashion products will be provided by Zzaaz Productions. Fashion show tickets are $150. To purchase tickets call (630) 856-2000. For more information, click here.
- A wine-tasting event will be held from 7 to 10 p.m. Saturday, at WineStyles, 6430 Main St., Woodridge. Proceeds benefit Hinsdale Hospital Foundation’s Open Arms breast cancer awareness fund. Features include a wine garden, silent auction, raffle prizes and an opportunity to create a wine charm. La La Li Patisserie, Aurelios and Buffalo Wild Wings will provide the food. Tickets are $20 in advance and $22 at the door. Space is limited. The event is being held by breast cancer survivor Deb Emerson and her business partner Jackie Michelon, both Westmont residents. For more information, contact Emerson at 630-487-0216 or email@example.com.
There are even more ways to spread breast cancer awareness this month by supporting national organizations that are fighting for a cure.
Research centers like Susan G. Komen for the Cure are selling pink ribbon merchandise and it’s a twofer — retail therapy and donating to a cause that affects millions.
You can also support breast cancer research by affixing a special stamp to your mail. The U.S. Postal Service has been selling a stamp commemorating breast cancer awareness for the past 15 years. The agency has raised $75 million so far for research programs at the National Institutes of Health and the Department of Defense.
The American Cancer Society’s annual Making Strides Against Breast Cancer Walk is organized nationwide and so far more than 8 million people have walked for this cause and raised about $460 million.
TELL US: Is there a special event you participate in to support breast cancer research? Share your stories and thoughts with us by adding them to the comments sections of this article. Also, be sure to add photos of you and your friends supporting the cause to the photo gallery above.