Editor's note: The following press release is provided by Community High School District 99.
Eight District 99 students have been selected as finalists in the 2012 National Merit Scholarship Program.
The National Merit Scholarship Program is an academic competition for recognition and scholarships sponsored by the National Merit Scholarship Corporation. Students are selected based on test scores, an essay, their schools’ curricula and school official recommendations, as well as involvement in activities and leadership.
Of the 1.5 million entrants, approximately 16,000 semifinalists were named in September and 15,000 of these students were named as finalists. Beginning in June, the NMSC will select 8,400 as merit scholarship winners.
The students selected include:
- Scott J. Blessing (South High School student from Downers Grove)
- Kayla Chapa (North High School student from Downers Grove)
- Rosaley Gai (South High School student from Woodridge)
- Alexandra K. Hansen (South High School student from Bolingbrook)
- Emily Temple-Wood (North High School student from Downers Grove)
- Andrea Vetrone (North High School student from Westmont)
- Kelsey White (North High School student from Downers Grove)
- Hannah Young (North High School student from Oak Brook)
“On behalf of all of my colleagues at District 99, I would like to congratulate these outstanding students on their achievements and recognition in this prestigious program,” said Superintendent Mark McDonald in the release.