With heavy snow and hazardous driving conditions gripping the Chicago area Tuesday, officials opted to postpone the public forum for Downers Grove school board candidates.
The Community High School District 99 candidate forum—hosted by the League of Women Voters of Downers Grove, Woodridge and Lisle—was scheduled for Tuesday night at Village Hall, but was canceled around 5 p.m. due to the snowstorm.
"We've heard from two of the candidates and know they can't make it, so we're going to wait until everyone can be there and we can have a better crowd," said Hilary Denk, co-president of the League of Women Voters in Downers Grove.
Denk said they are hoping to reschedule the forum for 7 p.m. March 14 at Village Hall.
Six candidates are running for four open seats on the District 99 school board—incumbents Debbie Boyle, Terry Pavesich and Julia Beckman, and newcomers Rick Pavinato, Henry Jakobsze and Martin Gorski.
The consolidated election will be held April 9.
The League of Women Voters will also host a forum for Downers Grove village council candidates at 7 p.m. March 26 at Village Hall.
In the village council race, six candidates are running for three open seats—incumbents Bob Barnett and Marilyn Schnell, and newcomers Don Jankowski, David Olsen, Greg Hosé and Susan Walaszek
- District 99 Board President Withdraws from Upcoming Election
- April 2013 Consolidated Election: Downers Grove Voter Guide
- Seven File for District 99 School Board; Four in District 58
- Ballot Order Set for Downers Grove Council Race; Barnett Gets Top Billing
- Downers Grove Commissioner William Waldack Will Not Seek Re-Election
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -